Monday, November 18, 2013

Choices and expectations

This weekend seemed like the most stressful one in recent times. Like I mentioned in the last post, my birthday is coming up.. I kept stressing over whether to celebrate, where to celebrate, what to wear etc. Last week was spent in going to the mall trying on clothes and looking at dresses online. Shopping for an occasion almost never works. I get so confused that I either end up buying them all or none at all. This morning, I decided I won't stress out over having a perfect time on my birthday. It's my state of mind that will make it perfect after all.. not the location or the outfit. I mean, I really won't mind if I am only just by myself but at peace. It will still be worthwhile. (FYI, I can now imagine the stress people go through at their weddings)

It makes me think whether choices, plans etc. are really an illusion. Last year, I had the best time ever. I did make plans but none of them worked out. My dress tore at the last minute. The party was delayed. Someone I was close to at the time did not wish me all day. But in the end, all of us ended up having the best time of our lives. My friend had bought me a dress as a birthday present which I donned for the day. The party was late but that only meant more guests could arrive and those that were already there decided to crash at my place than go back home. I got the awaited call quite late but that time made it possible for me to be wished & blessed by that someone's mother too.

So, it feels like it does not matter what you want. More often than not, life gets in the way and makes it worthwhile. Choices / Decisions feel like an illusion at such times.

Or maybe we need plans. Safety sake. Sometimes they are going to work out. Sometimes they just won't.

A lot of times, unplanned or unexpected things bring more joy as they have the surprise element.

All of this reminds me of a quote I once read,

"The expected is what keeps us steady. It's the unexpected that changes our lives forever."

No comments: